Saturday, May 4, 2019

The good, the bad, and the ugly

It has been 90 days and roughly 4,000 miles since I purchased the Ford Transit 150 Cargo Van. I have to write that I'm very happy with the purchase decision. However, since I was not able to finish the build out in the first go around, mainly due to the cold weather, there are some observations I would like to share.

The good

More room - a two sided sword.

On the one side, it allows me to carry a myriad of tools without making several stops during the week to reload or reconfigure the car for specific jobs. Furthermore, it allows for more accessories to be carried which in turn makes jobs easier to complete. On the other side it makes a mess since all of it is organized in bins at the moment and not in designated shelve units. Some sharp turns, sudden stops, or acceleration can cause some of the smaller bins to topple over and the contents is all over the place despite the lit.
The extra room also allows me to transport left overs or trash easier and faster to the designated landfills or dumpsters. Below is an example of carrying about 2,100 pounds of tile plus several bags of other stuff, or a cement Grinder ( a million pounds if you ask me).

Yes it is a mess but it worked. I'm not sure if I will be able to do that after I finish the build out, whenever that is.

The bad

The van, like all the other vans in the same class, only averages 14 miles per gallon. I drive mostly back roads or city traffic which does not help, neither does the weight of the tools. My previous car averaged about 17 miles a gallon which is not that much of a difference, however, with the gas prices going up again it is about a $100 per month increase. Although the van is not that long, the height prohibits to park in most garages, public or private. The car still is easy to maneuver and park, just not inside. 

The ugly

Opening the doors is like a box of chocolate, you never know what falls out first ... It is ugly inside and looks very unorganized. Dust and other debris is all over the floor. I have to clean the dash board every morning before I start the drive due to the dust accumulated on it. Hopefully this state of looks will improve in the near future.

The improved

This heading is not mentioned in the title but I upgraded the "entertainment" system in the car. I know that there are several upgrade videos online, everybody with their own opinion and style, so I will not go into the nitty gritty details and just show what I did to my van's radio upgrade. Should you be adventures and go for a complete build out, not just a work van, visit this site which has the most detailed and well thought out description of how to do it.
While I was at it I added some desperately needed floor mats for the front. 

I ventured out in the infinite world of shopping to find exactly what I wanted in terms of performance. The particular piece I was looking for was an Android system with most of the bells and whistles for the least amount of money. After weeks of research and comparisons I stumbled upon the ATOTO ANDROID IN-CAR ENTERTAINMENT system which addressed all the items I wanted in my dashboard, above all, it had the right price tag namely $179 on Amazon. Adding a new dashboard kit from Metra, wire harness, connectors, and adapters the entire new system was less than $240.

Since my soccer team had a bye week this Saturday I took the time to tackle the install. First I removed the existing top and front panels.
   
Second, I attached the wire harness and connected the cables in the order of ground, power, left and right speakers.
   
I turned the ignition key to turn on the power system and the system came right up - success.
Now came the fiddling with the brackets to align the screen with the panel. The small piece in front of the screen had to be cut so the unit slides to the back where it is fastened to the existing dashboard.
After mounting the side pieces, enlarging the opening of the screen front panel to fit the screen the unit was nicely in place and was working perfectly.

I will eventually write how the system performs in terms of radio, GPS, USB, Bluetooth, and OBDII.

No comments:

Post a Comment