Friday, February 15, 2019

Van Buildout

Before I was able to get started with the "new" van interior build out I had to get to a stopping point at my current project. After that point was reached I had to take out all the equipment, gear, and whatever else was in the Sienna Mini Van and put it in the garage. Before it slips my mind, I appreciate the use of the garage and the driveway of my client, and above all, their patience.

Unfortunately, the back hinge of the Sienna broke a couple of weeks ago and had to be fixed first before I could empty the rear of the van. Installing the part was a short task, loosen some screws, remove the panel, loosen the old hinge, install the new hinge, re install the cover and screws, done.

 Although it is a known fact that you always have too much stuff, I'm was amazed how much stuff I accumulated and fit into the Sienna Van. All of it is piled up in the garage at the moment to be sorted out and organized into the new van.

After the seats were reinstalled in the Toyota Sienna I finally got started on the insulation of the Ford Transit Cargo Van.

One of the best web reference I found during my research is Isabelle and Antoine's blog about van life. They did an amazing job researching and blogging about the entire process. The blog can be read at https://faroutride.com/

Perfect fit


















Much debate went into the thought of insulating the floor and provide a solid walk surface. I decided to purchase a molded floor mat for $180. It was an absolutely perfect fit.  Initially I was looking into laying insulation in between the floor ribs, covering it with Reflectix, and top it off with ¾” plywood. However, after adding up the cost (about $240) plus the time it takes to cut the strips, Reflectix, and the wood I decided otherwise.  There is always the option to add a sheet of plywood in between the left and right cabinets at a later date.

 
For the side walls I used 1.5“ thick Foamular 150 by Owens Corning. For the expanding foam I used Loctite Tite Foam especially formulated for large gaps -  also sticks to anything and everything.

Bunche cord helpers  


Last Panel with helpers
The ceiling was covered with ¼” plywood. In hindsight I should have used 1" foam board for the ceiling, it would have made the installation of the plywood much easier ...

No comments:

Post a Comment